Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel

To: cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Chunnel
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:25:01 +0100

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 07:17:06PM +0100, cyb97 wrote:
> on 26.03.00 16:49:56, the guilty party (ie. "Alexandre BERAUD"), stuck his
> head out with the following anouncment:
> >>
> >>I don't like this idea, settlers in transport is more reasonable
> >>possibility. Of course it should be some way visible to other players
> >>if a settler is transforming ocean to land.
> >

> Just back to the chunnel/tunnel issue... what about introducing a
> new wonder like The Eurostar-tunnel (which is the tunnel between UK
> and France), which allows normal engineers/settlers to build tunnels
> of unlimited length (but at great costs)...  btw. this implies that
> settlers or some other unit (maybe a new tunnel/bridgebuilder
> unit??) are available before, so you actually can improve from being
> able to build a few blocks long tunnel to as long as you
> want.... this could also introduce subways/underground in cities or
> even between close cities...

That tunnel is in fact called the 'chunnel', so that's what we've been
talking about all along.

The main point is that the channel tunnel would be, on the standard
freeciv map, only about one square long -- and as far as I know, it's
currently one of the longest in the world.  This suggests that longer
tunnels would be stupidly expensive --- so they should be hard to
build in freeciv.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable