Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] fog of war v3

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] fog of war v3
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:23:18 +0100

OK - now the bug count should be very close to zero - no known bugs at least.
The ai and the barbarians use the servers map (cheating), but at least they
don't need any recoding.

There is the detail that the fog of war setting is not remembered between
savegames.
Also, I have been unable to get it to default fogofwar on (option fogofwar set
to 1). To game.h I have added:

#define GAME_DEFAULT_FOGOFWAR        1
#define GAME_MIN_FOGOFWAR            0
#define GAME_MAX_FOGOFWAR            1

and to stdinhand.c I have added:

  { "fogofwar", &game.fogofwar,
    SSET_RULES_FLEXIBLE, SSET_TO_CLIENT,
    GAME_MIN_FOGOFWAR, GAME_MAX_FOGOFWAR, GAME_DEFAULT_FOGOFWAR,
    N_("Chance in diplomat/spy contests"),
    N_("Fog of war. Only units within the sightrange of your own units will be "
       "revealed to you. You will still see terrain changes, such as roads,  on
"
       "all discovered land.") },

but it doesn't work :(. It is still 0 when you start a new game.

Nouja has made a page about the patch at www.freeciv.org/~hop/patches/fog/ ,
and set up a fogofwar server at civserver.freeciv.org at port 5560 . Thanks!
You will of course need to patch the client too.
The server should be upgraded with this patch, as the one running as I write
this has some bugs.

Please try this patch!
-Thue

ps: it applied with CVS 05/3, but CVS wouldn't compile for me because
of unrelated problems (as far as I can see) in client/gui-gtk . Try it with CVS
04/3