Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A few questions about goto and in generel

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A few questions about goto and in generel
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:45:30 -0500

At 1999/12/22 20:43 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
>Hopefully I will have some time this winter, and get a little code added to
>freeciv (would be my first contribution to an open-source project). I was
>thinking of making an enhanced goto for aircraft, where they leaped between
>cities/airpost instead of just going out into the blue when the distance
became
>too great. This will also make it easier to get the AI using flying units.

Welcome to the effort!  This sounds like a very useful mod.

>-There will need to be a way to cancel some movement points (when a plane
>reaches a city and waits). Is there coded support for this allready?

Hum.  I guess I wouldn't want my unit's moves_left reduced to zero at this
point -- I may decide that I want to move it manually.  Rather, just don't
move it further, leaving its activity as ACTIVITY_GOTO.  With
ACTIVITY_GOTO, it won't get the focus unless the player clicks on it.

However, if the unit already has the focus (as it does on the turn when you
start the goto), then it retains the focus.  This is because the routine
update_unit_focus() in client/control.c allows ACTIVITY_GOTO units to keep
the focus (and, it needs to do this, in case a unit reaches its goto
destination with some movement left).

It seems that we may need a way for do_unit_goto() in server/gotohand.c to
tell the client that the unit should lose the focus.

>-When I skimmed the goto code there seemed to be little comments about
what the
>warmap really is. Did I look the wrong place?

I haven't figured out the warmap, either.  Is there someone out there who
knows what it is, how it's computed and what its uses are?

>I see that fog of war and isometric view is sceduled for 2.1 . Is anybody
>currently working on these? It seems to me that it would be smart to get
these
>done with before adding more code to freeciv, to avoid having to rewrite too
>much.

I don't know about fog if war (who is working on that?), but the isometric
view is a fairly localized change -- just some minor twiddling in the
drawing code of the clients.  (Plus *lots* of work drawing the new tiles.)

jjm