Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians (was: Dumb AI in mid & late game)

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Barbarians (was: Dumb AI in mid & late game)
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:24:41 +1000

Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> Here are my notes, which are something of a composite from the Civ1 and
> Civ2 manuals:
>
>   Two types:  Sea Raiders and Land Barbarians
>
>   Sea Raiders:
>     Appear in boats near a shore.
>     They try to capture cities.
>     They do *not* destroy improvements or infrastructure
>       (they want to use it).
>     If they capture a city, they start producing more units,
>       which will go out and try to capture other cities.

Yep.

>   Land Barbarians:
>     Appear on land, not within any city radius.
>       (Later in game, appear even further from any city.)
>     They are "interested only in loot".
>     They pillage infrastructure, especially mines and irrigation.
>     If they capture a city, they destroy its improvements.

Yep.

>   Barbarian Leaders:
>     A horde is often lead by a Leader, which looks like a
>       Diplomat.  (Hey, we could have a special unit for this.)

Almost always from a ship or "out of blue", never from a hut. He is a
diplomat (if you bribe him he becomes a diplomat), but the computer doesn't
use his special abilities.

>     If he is "captured" (killed) in combat, and is alone on the
>       square, he can be ransomed for 100 gold.

Depends on level. God level he is always worth 50, Cheftain (IIRC) you can
capture him with another unit and he's still worth 150-200 (I'm not sure
about this - I haven't played Cheftain for a long while).

>     If all other units in the horde are killed, he runs away,
>       and (in a few turns) disappears.

He disappears very quickly if he reaches a coast, otherwise it's quite rare.

>   Even if they capture a city, they do not become a civilization.
>
>   In Civ2, user may select one of four "difficulties" of Barbarians:
>     - 0. Barbarians only appear in Villages.
>     - 1. thru 3. -- Increasing frequency.
>
> jjm

Regards,
Steve Hodge