Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:06:52 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> I think that it would be good to use "" only for strings that are
> displayed to player. This way all "" strings could be marked for i18l.

Strings to i18n will be/are currently bing marked with _("") for
easy use with xgettext etc.  Having other strings marked with ""
is easiest in terms of the current sectionfile parser.
(inputfile.c/registry.c)

> Rest - tech id names (as opposed to displayed names), flags etc would be
> one word, without any quotes. They would be provided in [] at top of
> entry. It would also simplify scripting later - because for now
> units/terrains/techs etc do not have constant id string by which they
> could be reffered to from scripts.

Why can't they use the unit name?  Even with i18n, the server will
store the original (English) name internally and translate on the
fly (has to, or at least keep English + translated, to send original
names to client, so client can translate to possibly different lang;
or in future so server can translate to multiple client langs).

Or it would be easy enough to use the section names tags instead,
but I don't see much advantage to motivate a change from current
system in this regard.

-- David