Re: [Freeciv-Dev] I18n: Patch marked strings

To: dperezs@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] I18n: Patch marked strings
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 22:05:35 +1000 (EST)

David Perez Serrada wrote:

>   Sorry for my delays. I'll try to do fastest the next time. I have put a
> patch with all the strings that I mark in freeciv code, partial tranlation
> to spanish, and almost complete translation to French (Thanks to Denis
> Bonor). The patch is in:

Thanks.

But...  I guess due to CVS changes, your patch adds some
old headers which have moved, and deletes (argh!!) some new
files, and also erroneously reverts some other code changes.
Please read through the patch and fix anything which is not
a deliberate change.

I would kind of prefer not marking the strings in ruleset
files at this stage...  (Just because I'm not sure about how
gettext strings in ruleset files will be handled.)

I'm a bit concerned about the way the Gtk+ client menus are
handled in this patch, with separate translations for things
like:

+  {"/_Reports", 536},
+  {"/Reports/tearoff1", 537},
+  {"/Reports/City Report", 538},

+  {"/Reports/Spaceship", 546},

+  {"<main>/Reports/Spaceship", 579},

That is, this looks like the translator having to repeat
lots of translations, and possibly very bad things happening
(broken menus) if some of them get messed up or out of sync.
Well, maybe there is no better way to do it, but I would like
to hear/explore whether there is.

Also, is there any reason for not following the "standard"
header grouping when adding '#include "fcintl.h"'?
(Probably my fault for not adding the explanation about
this to the hackers guide or contribute.html yet;
if there is no good reason, it should go alphabetically
in with the rest of the headers from common/.)

Regards,
-- David