Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More suggestions for Freeciv

To: Evert van Dijk <evert_van_dijk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More suggestions for Freeciv
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:17:15 +1000

Evert van Dijk wrote:
> idea / suggestion
> create a city improvement like a part-time army (what we in Australia
> call the Army reserve) that would be able to defend the city against
> attacks.
>
> Description
> The city builds the [Army Reserve] and for each 2 or 3 population a
> part-time unit is created. (defence only) attack 0, defence 3, move 0.
> is regenerated at end of turn, even if killed. but only to that ratio of
> 1 for each 2 or 3 population.
> the city improvement has a cost of 3 per turn
> can be build once constription has been researched.
>
> Realistic aspect
> I think most civilisations would have some sort of this type of defence.
> certainly we do. Granted it has not been used for defence but we use
> them sometimes during floods or other disasters

Colonization had this. I do think that if the Army Reserve unit loses the
combat the city should lose one population regardless of city walls. I also
think there should be a fairly low number of Army Reserve units per city
(say one unit per 8 or 10 poulation) otherwise it will be too hard to
capture cities.

Regards,
Steve Hodge