Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch

To: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Yet another Gtk+ Server patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:39:50 +1000 (EST)

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:

> You know the problem probably is that the server is the most portable part
> of FreeCiv and the maintainers don't wan't anything that reduces portability.
> If you want your server frontent to be acepted more easily try making it a
> separate program that parses the command line server's output.

This is a factor; I would prefer that approach.  A probably
more pressing factor at the moment is that there are lots of
other interesting freeciv things happening now, all vying for
attention.  And this combines with the first factor...

Also, I would note that in the past large and/or structural
changes have not been integrated into freeciv cvs rapidly.
This need not stay the case, and I'd like to do things somewhat
faster, but still... (and combined with the above factors.)
Eg, the Gtk+ client took a long time (maybe too long) before
it was integrated, despite (I think) having broad support.

Another thing to consider is that normally code has not been
put into freeciv cvs until it substantially works.  That is,
code which might be characterised as "beta" or better, rather
than code which might be characterised as "alpha".  I had a
quite look at the gtk-server (a4) and I'm not sure how rapidly
it is progressing, but it looked like it needs a bit of work
to be really usable.  Plus you need a configure option to
specify the text server, and the text server needs to work with
all it current capability! :-)

All this is not to say that you shouldn't be posting early
versions and updates as you've done, just that it may not be
integrated into cvs as quickly as you might like.

Regards,
-- David