Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea (battle.net)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea (battle.net)
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:58:15 -0700

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Melissa <ishstar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > It's not exactly dealing with the game itself, but on setting up and
> > running games...  it's the idea of something like battle.net where
> > people meet up and then there's a creator of the game (when a game is
> > created the creator can start up a server in the background... hopefully
> > automatically) and people can join up and etc.  It can just get a little
> > tough trying to find people on the net to play and etc.
>
> Yeah, it would be neat if we could somehow have some games
> running automatically all the time on the freeciv server,
> which people could join, or some way for people to meet and
> start games, as you say.

Well I don't think that the current freeciv server could handle more
than one server.  Especially with a whole bunch of AI's.  It still might
be interesting to have one game going all the time.  I can't comment on
connectivity, because it would definitly suffer near a release or a
mention on freshmeat (or anywhere else for that matter).

I am getting some more RAM for the machine, but don't have an ETA for
that as of yet.

I would like to scrape some hardware together for are real
civserver.freeciv.org, but I am little short on hardware at the moment.
Thought? Comments?

--
Paul Zastoupil