Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re : [Freeciv-Dev] Solar panels in a starship?
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:32:16 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

Lalo wrote:
>Rationale: if we're assuming it is possible to cross lightspeed

Not possible !

>(as opposed to assuming the ships use hyperspace, warps, or some
>of the other theorized space travel methods)

Would be even better.

>, then any
>insignificant particle it encounters will, according to
>relativity, behave as energy from ship's point of view. This
>energy (matter that somehow is above lightspeed) is called
>"cosmic rays", IIRC. If it was possible to cross lightspeed,
>ships would have to be shielded against cosmic rays because of
>that.

Hmmm. At lightspeed, any massic particle would have an infinite energy
(gamma=1/sqrt(1-v²/c²)) and, supposed that you could bypass this limit
(with some kind of quantum jump in speed), energy would be purely
imaginary. However, there is no evidence that Civ's spaceship travels
faster than light. The average travel time is 15 years and the closest
stars (like Proxima) are in this distance range.
I think cosmic rays already exist and don't travel above lightspeed
(like neutrinos). You should think that Freeciv players are not looking
for physics lessons but just fun.

>BTW the "cosmic energy" tech could have other uses. There are
>"cosmic rays" free in space, and a sattelite could have "cosmic
>panels" to capture energy and send it to your cities.
>
>* Module: "Kubric panels" (the name implies "Kubric" is the
>company or person who invented it, and I don't think anyone in
>this list would oppose to the tribute). More expensive; works as
>a cosmic panel when above lightspeed and as a solar panel when
>below lightspeed.

You make everything really complicated. However, I am not satisfied with
the Freeciv/Civ management of the ship, as long as you cannot design
your ship as you want. It would be nice to have the choice to put some
features or not. But this could lead to a real new part of the game.

Alexandre BERAUD