Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Downloadable Modules

To: iquin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Downloadable Modules
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:02:08 +1100

iquin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I noticed that the .bz2 file size has increased from 600k+ to 800k+ recently.

That's mainly because we've added new (larger) tiles, and also kept
the old tiles as an alternative set.

> It now cost much more bandwidth to download and diskspace to compile.

Its not that much really, these days.  If you only get the releases,
you only have to download every three months or so; if you get
snapshots alot, then you could save bandwidth by taking the diffs,
or, better still, use cvs.  If you have trouble compiling, wait
to get the releases in precompiled form as rpm or deb.

> I would like to suggest that we break additional features into seperated
> modules
>  and you can download whatever you need.
> Of course, there can still be one complete distribution.
> It is best to start this before it is too late.

I would suggest this is already too late.

> Below are the few modules I see fit so far :
>         1. Client
>         2. Server
>         3. AI (might be too difficult to break apart)
>         4. Tileset
>         5. Ruleset
>         6. CivilWar
>         7. SpaceRace

Other than having extra tilesets separate, these are mostly not
feasible, or wouldn't save much space, or would require alot
of work, or some combination of the above.

Even if the code itself was beautifully modular, you would
need to devise some compilation scheme to handle the hassle
of some parts being present or not.

> Also, obsoleted features (such as rate change dialog) can be removed.

I don't consider the rate change dialog as obsolete; I use it
all the time when changing my rates, since I find changing rates
by clicking the icons to be fiddly and unintuitive.

Regards,
-- David