Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civil war patch and ruleset.

To: Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civil war patch and ruleset.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:08:37 +1100

Kris Bubendorfer wrote:

> Has anyone actually tried the civil war patch?

Sorry, I've put it off till after 1.7.2

> > I prefer this (well, the second one) too.  And to overcome the problem
> > of when such a square is not available, teleport just a _short_ way
> > to the nearest such square.  This could even work regarding boats:
> > units on the opposite side to the boat can get moved to a nearby
> > friendly boat, or be "dropped off" at the nearest shore.
>
> As pointed out by someone (can't remember who - sorry)  Civ and Civ2 do it
> by teleporting

Bleh.  I think this is a rare enough event that we need not be
too constrained by that.

> Remember, we only teleport those who are most distant from home, and only
> then
> if they they are in a stack.

Why not teleport the ones _closest_ to home?  Or, better yet, teleport
units to nearby non-ememy squares (as above)?  Its the long range
teleports which make me uncomfortable.  (And yes, I'm also uncomfortable
with teleporting Spies, but I don't see how to get around that! :-)

> > I agree, don't adjust science/research at all seems best.
>
> Nobody loses anything, except the current research points, all advances
> remain
> the same - that seems reasonable as the empires scientific community is
> suddenly split in two.

You could argue current research either way: that everyone has access
to the current research up to the split, or that the current research
is distributed around the empire.  I don't really mind.

-- David